Saturday 14 April 2012

D is for Days Out

My A-Z Guide to Summer - D is for Days Out


The Summer is a great time to spend days out with your friends and family.

As a child we spent so many weekends out as a family, visiting new places, walking, riding our bikes, eating ice creams and exploring.

These are my 5 favourite days out......

1. Ferrers Gallery in Staunton Harrold, Leicestershire. It is set with the Ferrers  Centre for Arts & Crafts which is a beautiful courtyard setting surrounded by great craft shops, delis, tea rooms and artists studios.
The Ferrers Gallery is in a stunning listed building and showcases the best of British Contemporary Craftmanship; jewellery, ceramics, glass, textiles, paintings and sculpture.
There are so many things to buy and great exhibitions to spend time looking around. I love going here as there is something for everyone - you can even go for a walk through the National Forest it is nestled next to, and spend the day shopping/ browsing and even take something delicious home to eat fom the deli ( we went home with a Tapas feast!)
Ferrers Gallery


2. Rutland Water reservoir and nature reserve, in rural Leicestershire. I spemt many a day out here as a child with my family and continue to go today. It is a fantastic place to explore on bike or foot, with the reservoir having a circular route and lots of country pubs to stop at along the way.


Images from Adam Read



There is a great centre for watersports there as well and we spent a great afternoon canooing! So much fun and something different for your weekend.

3. Covent Garden, London is famous for its shops, street performers, bars, restaurants, theatres and the Royal Opera House. Covent Garden is an Italian-style piazza packed with restaurants, bars and fashionable boutiques. Surrounded by Theatreland, in the heart of London's West End, the area is recognised as the capital's premier entertainment and leisure destination. I always head here when I am in London, and love heading to the market and looking on all the stall and in the beautiful boutique shops, I could spend hours just looking around. There is so much to look at and such a buzz with crowds of people watching the street entertainers.
Covent Garden Street Entertainer
Inside Covent Garden Market



4. Go Ape! Tree Top Adventure. I visited the Thetford location and had such a fun day out, I loved it! For those of you that haven't been it is a definite must. With zip lines, high wire walks, log bridges and so much more. It is so exhilarating and will test you even if you aren't afraid of heights. I had to  be gently nudged off the zip line at it was so high! You begin with being fully kitted out and having safety briefings and training and then are free to explore the tree tops.
Go Ape!
5. Brighton. I have never been but really really want to go! I love the architecture and think it look slike such an inspiring city with the cafe culture, shops, nightlife and diversity. Think I will go and book a weekend break now!

would love your comments on your favourite days out x

1 comment:

  1. Going to my Mum's house is a day out ;) My sister loves Brighton. I love it too, I must go again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog, would love you to leave a comment xx